Wednesday 29 January 2014

Green clay mask: attempt number one.


Once upon a day, I was browsing through a drugstore and I stumbled upon a green clay mask. But right next to it, there was a little tub of pure green clay. I've been enjoying mixing up my own products lately, and the tub of powder was cheaper than the the clay-mask-in-a-tube, so I got this instead. 
I was eager to give it a try , so that's what I did the next day and here's how it went:

I did a bit of googling before I got started, and it said somewhere that you shouldn't let the clay get in contact with metal. So I used a glass and a ceramic spoon to mix my ingredients. 

I had also read you could mix in a drop of essential oil. However I was only quickly reading that bit and I had probably better not added that in! Anyway the things I used are 1 spoon of clay powder, a bit of water (I'm not sure anymore, but I think I used 2 spoons of water), 1 drop of peppermint oil and 1 drop of lavender oil. 

This was plenty to cover my face and neck. I just kept it on until it had all dried up. 

Then I rinsed it off with lukewarm water and the help of a wash cloth. My skin felt really soft and my pores looked a bit tighter than before. But about a minute later, my face turned warm and red! I probably had better not added those oils... It also left my skin slightly dry - but I knew that would happen since clay absorbs the oil from your skin. 
Because nose close-ups are so very flattering
I love to putter around with home made beauty products, so I will definitely give this another go! Next time around I'll leave out the lavender and peppermint oils, and perhaps add something moisturizing -would coconut oil work?- to keep my skin from getting too dry.

Sincerely,
R.